Medals and Awards

The slideshow below displays the various medals and awards available to Charlie Company Vietnam Veterans.

Click on the First Slide to Begin


Applying for Medals and Decorations


Separated and discharged veterans need to apply to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri.

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO  63132-5100
Monday through Friday, 7:30a.m. to 3:45p.m.
Telephone: 314-801-0800
Fax: 314 801-9195

Many years ago Congress passed a law requiring the government to furnish the medals for which a veteran is authorized, at no cost to the veteran.  A one-time replacement of those medals was also authorized at no cost to the veteran, or to the next of kin of a deceased veteran.  Be aware, that as federal budgets change, a charge or fee may be incurred when requesting issuance or replacement of medals.

The process usually involves the following: first, you apply to the NPRC to have them obtain your military records, and verify which awards you are entitled to receive.  The website for the NPRC is listed above, and is invaluable in assisting you.  So go to the website!  You must fill out and sign a Standard Form 180 (SF-180) which is a request to obtain your military records.  At the NPRC website you can download and print this form.  You mail or fax in this form, the NPRC verifies the awards you are entitled to, and will forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  That department will mail your medals to you.  You will also receive an amended copy of your DD-214, should the NPRC verify any awards you are entitled to, which are not listed on your original form.

When sending in the Standard Form SF-180, you will need to include a copy of your DD-214, if you have one, and any copies of orders for service or awards which are not shown on your DD-214.  The NPRC may, or may not be able to locate these orders, should you not have copies of them, but if you do have them, send them in since it will make the process a lot smoother and quicker.  Again, go to the NPRC website, as it has a great deal of help and instruction.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s